Go Litter Picking
When we pick up litter off the floor we are not only helping to keep our environment clean but we are saving the lives of the animals around us!
Remember to keep yourself safe when litter picking and to follow the government's guidelines for Covid 19!
- Always have a grownup with you
- Always wear a pair of thick gloves to protect your hands
- Never pick up anything sharp or dangerous
- Have some hand sanitiser with you to ensure your hands stay clean
- Stay with your grownups at all times!
Litter in our environment is a BIG problem!
Litter is stuff that ends up on the ground or in lakes and seas, and that shouldn’t be there. It could be glass bottles, plastic bags, tins, cigarette butts or sweet wrappers. Both animals and people can injure themselves because of litter.
Some shocking facts about litter!
- Many animals get poorly because of the litter we drop. They can get tangled up in it or they can eat it which causes them to become very poorly and eventually die.
- There could already be 150 million tonnes of plastic litter in the world’s oceans. That’s the same weight as 25 million large elephants.
- If we don’t do something about reducing the amount of litter in our environment, by 2050 there could be more plastic than fish in the world’s oceans!
- 8 million tonnes of plastic end up in our oceans every year.
- The plastic injures over 600 species of animals that live in and by the sea.
- It can take hundreds or even thousands of years for plastic to start to break down and break into smaller parts. Small bits of plastic called microplastics, end up in the sea and are eaten by fish which we then may eat for our dinner!
Click on the link below for more information on the effects litter is having on our environment and animals: